And in other cases, as much as our municipal supplies and wells are far better than those in countries and regions that are still struggling with contaminants, there is still room for improvement.
For those of us who would simply like to take that extra step to ensure higher quality drinking and cooking water, a faucet mounted filter may be just the thing!
How We Chose These 9 Filters
To help you choose the best option for your own home, we took a good look at what were not only the best sellers currently on the market, but also the highest rated. In this case, we went not only to manufacturer's websites, but also to Amazon, where people have no problem either praising the highlights (or criticizing the faults) of each model.
So, we hope that our results will save you a lot of time! Note that we chose 9 models, and are only including those that:
- appear to have enough of a track record that would indicate that they will be around for a while,
- are rated at least a 3.5 out of the possible 5-star ratings, and
- appear to have responsive customer service.
Top 9 Faucet Water Filters
The following chart briefly shows the model, along with the basic dimensions and overall star rating on Amazon.
Individual Faucet Filter Reviews
Let's have a look at each of these models in greater detail.
DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Filter
The DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter is currently our number one choice in this category. A long-standing favorite among customers, it is easy to install, it provides a high-performance filtration, and it's economical.
With great design and technology, this device reduces lead, mercury, asbestos, benzene, linden, cysts, chlorine, and sediment. You'll have improved clarity, odor, and taste in your tap water.
Other features of this filter include it having a 100-gallon filter capacity. In its cartridge housing and media includes the Microban Antimicrobial product protection which helps extend the life of the filter while also protecting the unit from common molds, bacteria and fungi.
This model also comes with the following: A Premier faucet mount, a high capacity faucet mount filter, two faucet adapters, two washers, high capacity and high protection faucet mount filter, and plumbing tape.
iSpring DF2-CHR Faucet Mount
With the iSpring DF2-CHR Faucet Mount, you'll get unparalleled efficiency of filtration that removes VOCs, atrazine, lindane, mercury, lead, cysts, germs, chloramine, chlorine, and many other contaminants.
It appears that this particular model may be fairly new to market, having probably taken over for the discontinued “DFW1 LittleWell” model. As of this writing, the DF2-CHR is already making a strong showing, coming in at #83 on Amazon in this category. The trusted iSpring name also makes this unit a strong contender going forward.
This device also has stable filtration performance, and its filter has a long-lasting filter life that lasts for eight months and up to 500 gallons. Other key features about this item include the following:
• Having a fast-flowing rate of 10 bottles per minute (i.e. up to 1.5 GPM)
• Lifetime support is available.
With this model's innovative technology, you can enjoy clean, safe, great tasting water from the kitchen faucet for delicious coffee and cooking. You also will save money and the hassle of buying tons of plastic water bottles.
It should be noted that earlier reports indicated that there were no replacement filters for this item; however, as of June 2019, they are available: iSpring FDF1 Replacements for both the DF1 and DF2 (this model).
Culligan FM-100-W Faucet Mount with Life Indicator
Its compact design and strong showing in customer rankings makes the Culligan FM-100-W unit with Life Indicator a top contender.
It can sometimes be difficult to choose between Culligan models, because there are several. This one appears to be a bit newer and better rated than the others. It has been offered on Amazon since 2016, with a 4.1 star rating, 54% of which are 5-star, and 17% which are 4-star. It reduces chlorine odor and taste, lead, turbid, atrazine, and sediment. Thus, this system produces fresher and purer tasting water. This system is WQA tested and certified.
Fitting most aerator faucets, this water filter fits most aerator faucets. It won't fit handheld or pullout style faucets. Also, a 15/16-27 male adaptor and a 55/64-27 female metal collar are included.
Another great thing about this water filter is that the changing filter aspect of it. Its filter cartridge offers up to two months (200 gallons) of fresh and clean drinking water. Also, it is easy to change the cartridge. An indicator light will flash when it needs changing.
Waterdrop 320-Gallon Faucet Filtration System
The Waterdrop's claims are mighty indeed for a faucet mounted model (e.g. "removing" fluoride in one statement and "reducing" it in another), but they don’t explain exactly how they are able to do this other than talking about the Activated Carbon Fiber (ACF) material used in the filter. They state that their claims are backed by bata from independent tests; however, they do not include this information.
For such an inexpensive price point, we were wondering why we haven’t heard of it. The seller (which is not the manufacturer) is getting good reviews (totally separate from product reviews, which are also quite good).
Here are some things that stand out about the product:
- They actually include the pdf manual for us to see right up front before you buy.
- You should get six months of typical usage before replacement is required. Thus, you'll have great value due to it replacing 2,000 bottles of water (based on a common 16.9 oz bottle).
- The ACF material makes for quick filtration. You can fill up to four water bottles (16.9 oz each) in one minute.
- The convenient switch lever makes it easy to quickly switch from filtered water to regular tap water. This feature extends the life of the filter.
- It is easy to install, and this system also includes various adapters.
- You get a limited, one-year warranty against defects in workmanship and materials. It also has a 30-day money-back guarantee and worry-free shipping.
This device fits on standard faucets. It does not fit faucets with sensors, and pull-out, spray-style faucets that spray. It does not fit pull-out, hand-held, spray-style faucets. It also doesn't fit faucets with a sensor.
Brita Tap Water Filter System
Currently rated as the #1 best seller in this category on Amazon, and the highest rated of all the other Brita models, we are putting this in our #5 slot (instead of higher), primarily because there are numerous recent complaints about a poor fit.
Known primarily for their filtration pitchers, Brita is a common and trustworthy name (it is a privately owned, German company). And it certainly deserves a spot on our list for putting out a consistently and overall well-received product.
The Brita Tap Water Filter System is also one of the best water filters for various reasons which include the following:
Convenient and easy to install, it attaches to the standard faucet. It reduces approximately 60 contaminants, such as chlorine (taste and odor), 99% of lead, asbestos, and benzene.
• Filter Change Reminder
It also alerts you when the filter needs changing and when it is working. It has a beneficial red and green light to illustrate that change is required, and the filter is working, respectively. It only takes one-click to replace it.
• Eliminating Waste and Save
It allows the elimination of waste as well as save you money from buying plastic water bottles. You can get up to 100 gallons of filtered water which replaces up to 750 plastic water bottles (using the example of a 16 oz bottle).
• Three Spray Options
This product has an on and off filtering switch that makes filtering easy. The three spray options consist of unfiltered spray, unfiltered water, and filtered water.
It doesn't, however, fit on spray style and pull out faucets.
If you are looking for a simple and affordable model with a name that you recognize, the Brita may be for you.
PUR FM2500V Classic Faucet Mount Filter, Small
After reviewing those models that remained, we are convinced that the 2 best models include this one (the FM2500V Classic) and the FM 3700 Advanced model (which you will read about below).
With the exchanging of activated carbon and ion, this filter is certified to reduce more than 70 contaminants, including chlorine and 99% of lead.
Another great feature is that it comes with an LED indicator which clearly shows you when the filter needs to be replaced. Furthermore, you don't have to replace it until you filtered 100 gallons of water which is typically 2-3 months of usage.
For over 30 years, the experts at PUR have been offering families highly rated products, and this one is currently ranking as the #6 best seller in this category at Amazon. Using the FM2500V Classic, it is possible for you to save up to $1,000 annually from buying bottled water.
Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration
With a flow rate of .5 gpm at 60 psi, the Culligan FM-15A is an advanced filter faucet mount that has been a long-time favorite among customers. With just a quick switch, you can use this filter's diverter easily to change from advanced quality filtered water to regular tap water.
You don't have to use tools to install this filter because it installs easily. This device does not fit drop down faucets. However, it has adapters to fit standard sink nozzles.
Also, this device's advanced filtration system eliminates lindane, atrazine, lead, and chlorine. This filtration filter particulates class I and turbidity while also removing bad odor and taste. Numerous consumers remark on the good taste that results.
The NSF International system tested and certified the FM-15RA filter against ANSI Standard 42 and 53. Its cartridge filters for an entire 200 gallons or two months of cleaner, fresher drinking water. It also has a temperature range of 40 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit and a pressure range of 30 to 100 psi.
PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter - Chrome
Another PUR unit to make our top 9 list (and the #3 best seller in its category on Amazon), the PUR FM-3700 Advanced model offers quick access to great-tasting, cleaner filtered water. With the exchanging of activated carbon and ion, this filter is certified to reduce more than 70 contaminants, including chlorine and 99% of lead.
Another great feature is that it comes with an LED indicator. This feature shows the status of the filter when it needs to be replaced. Furthermore, you don't have to replace it until you filtered 100 gallons of water ( i.e. typically 2-3 months of usage).
Kabter Faucet Mount Water Filter System
Hitting the #50 mark in the 100 top sellers on Amazon in its category, the Kabter deserves a mention.
As of this writing (June 2019) this may be a fairly new product to market having only 18 reviews (which, while excellent, only date since Oct 2018); however they appear to be a responsive seller. We did notice the relatively long lead time for Amazon which makes us think it may be shipping from China.
Also, clicking on the seller profile in their Amazon listing, it does not appear that these folks are specialists in water filtration. Nonetheless, early reviews and seller response is encouraging.
The filter includes a "Food Grade Calcium Sulfite Ball," which is KDF-55 (which you can learn about here). With this feature, contaminants are reduced, including lead, mercury, asbestos, benzene, cysts, chlorine, and sediment.
Another thing about this device is that it comes with a sturdy convenient design. It is made from grade ABS plastic that is no-leak and durable.
This device fits most faucets. It has adapters to fit the standard female (13/16-inch and the 15/16-inch) and the standard male (55/64-inch) threaded faucet. It won't fit unthreaded, fit pull-out/pull-down faucets.
Its filter lasts a long time also before replacement is required. The filter lasts through 200 gallons of water which range from two to three months. The durability just depends on usage and water quality.
We will be keeping an eye on this model, and may bring it up higher in our rankings as time goes on and we see more activity around this brand and model.
Overall Benefits Of Faucet Water Filters
There is no question that using one of these products is a superior option over the use of purchasing water in plastic bottles. For one, there are reports that some of the plastic of some of these plastic bottles have toxic materials. There have been news reports and articles expressing this occasionally.
Secondly, bottled water companies have fewer regulations than agencies that govern tap water. Sure, there are guidelines that they must adhere to through the FDA, but the government does a little more in many cases.
According to NRDC.org, the federal government does not mandate bottle water companies to have safer water than tap. As a matter of fact, approximately 25 percent or more bottled water is just tap.
An even more disturbing fact is that bottled water does not have to be disinfected and filtered for the removal of pathogens. They don't even have to test for giardia and cryptosporidium viruses. The big city tap water system must do these things.
Both water types regularly test for bacteria and most synthetic organic chemicals. However, the city tests for these substances more often than bottled water organizations.
With these issues and more, the NRDC concluded that there is no guarantee that bottled water is safer or cleaner than tap water.
The bottom line is buying a top-notch water filter is the answer. Furthermore, you can also use a combination of water treatment along with a filter to ensure the utmost of purity in your water.
Nevertheless, below includes the main benefits of water filters:
1. Better Taste and Smell
They provide better tasting and smelling drinking water by reducing chlorine and bacterial contaminants. A primary complaint about tap water is the smell/taste.
2. Cost Effective
3. Eco Friendly Option
This cost doesn't even take into consideration of the price to make plastic bottles that cause more excess garbage and pollution in our landfills and eco-system.
4. Possibly Better for Your Health
Drinking filtered water can help protect your body from disease and can lead to better health (think about drinking polluted or contaminated water for just a moment!). Also, filtered water provides clean, healthy water for making drinks and cooking.
5. Less Clutter
Maintaining Your UnitThese top 9 faucet mounted filters are the crème of the crop. However, it's already established that some of them do not last as long as others. However, as with anything you own, you can maintain your unit to get the longest use of it as possible. The following includes tips in maintaining your unit:
• Note the Replacement Date
Make sure to replace the water filter on the replacement date. Water filters become less effective as impurities build up. And thus, they will be ineffective in keeping the release of harmful bacteria or chemicals back into your water when you go beyond the replacement date.
• Follow your manufacturer's maintenance directions
• Other Important Notes1. These water filters may need to be changed from a few months to once per year, depending on the frequency of use and the size of the filter.
2. There are some water filters that is not good for running hot water.
3. There are instructions available many times stating what to do when there is a problem with your device.
4. Many of these filters come with an indicator to show when it's time to replace your filter, just in case you forget. It could be a flashing red light showing to alert you, for instance.
5. Sometimes there may be a water leak when you don't thread or install the filter correctly so take precaution.
6. Some of these devices comes with a warranty or guarantee.
7. You must turn off the water valves most of the time when replacing the filter.
Installation BasicsIt is fairly simple to install a faucet water filter. There is no need for a professional to install it or help you install it to your kitchen sink. The following includes general steps to install your new water filter:
1. Turn off your water supply.This step is more than just turning off the faucet. In addition to turning the faucet off, you must turn off the cold and hot water valves that are typically underneath the sink.
2. Remove the aerator from your faucet.This step usually includes a threaded aerator on the end of the faucet. This aerator where the water comes out of is removable. Use a cloth to wrap around the aerator and then loosen it up with a pipe wrench. Then, you can twist it off with your hand.
3. Clean the seal/threads.After removing the aerator, you must clean the threads off which are at the end of the faucet. Also, you can add one or two pieces of Teflon tape around the threads to help seal them after attaching off the water faucet filter.
4. Use the ready parts and an adapter, if required.You then must take out all of the parts out of the package the faucet filter came in. Lay them on a cloth on the kitchen counter next to the sink. Afterward, look at the sink faucet threads to determine if an adapter piece is required which is usually included in the faucet filter kit.
5. Install the faucet's attachment piece.Follow the instructions that are enclosed in your faucet filter kit. Looking at the diagram on the instructions, attach each piece accordingly as instructed. Ensure to do this without the water bottle containing the attached cartridge filter.
6. Attach other faucet filter parts.Next, you must attach the water bottle with an enclosed filter to the part just threaded on the faucet. You must also attach any other necessary part.
7. Test.Test to ensure the water is flowing smoothly at the end of the faucet filter and to ensure there is no leaks.
And that's it. These easy steps will take you on your way to ensure you and your family can have water that is great-tasting, clean, and safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you run hot water through the filter?Yes, running hot water through most filters is safe. However, depending on the filter feature and the technology, running hot water through the filter shouldn't be done as frequently for some filters, in which case, they simply won't last as long as others. For most purposes, you should just use these for cold water.
2. What contaminants will these units remove?A range of contaminants can very effectively be removed from water filters. However, not a single water filter can remove everything from the tap water. Using different treatment methods together will work wonders with a filtering system to obtain the ultimate in purity.
Water filters work by using chemical or active filtration and physical filtration. Also, most filters combine two methods, including an active filter transitioning the contaminant in a certain way and then filtering it out of the water.
Using these combinations with at least one other treatment method will remove nearly every foreign object from the tap water.
5. What type of water filter should I get?The type of water filter you should get depends on your geographic location and the problem that the water system at that location has. Once you discover the problems your location has, you should check for the water filter that targets that problem.
For instance, several customers living in Chicago complained about tasting lime in their tap water. And as a result, many of these customers were dissatisfied because they bought a filter that didn't remove the lime taste.
Thus, it's imperative to search for the water filter that will remove the tap water problems in your area. The following includes typical problems with our water systems:
• Common Symptoms in the community or city waterThe taste and odor in community or city water are typically turbidity/hardness or chlorine. Many people don't like the addition of fluoride to their supplies, in which case we would recommend a counter-top or under-counter Reverse Osmosis, which is truly the most-proven method of removing fluoride.
• Common Symptoms for well waterThe taste and odor in well water usually includes chlorine, hardness, turbidity, iron stains, green/blue stains (low Ph.), a rotten smelling odor (sulfur), etc.
Residences in city/community areas can request their local water authorities to perform a water quality analysis report. This report should illustrate considerable aspects when choosing a water filter, such as turbidity and chlorine level.
Residences with well water can test their water for contaminants. They can have a professional water testing company to test it, or they can use a DIY home water test kit.
Whether it is well or city water, the safest process is to test your water to see what contaminant is present. That way, you can determine what filter is best to buy to remove the contaminant.
ConclusionEven with today's advanced systems and technology, there are still reports of contaminants in our water supplies. The most common complaints include the taste and odor typically being turbid/hard or having chlorine. The common complaints surrounding well water include the taste and odor usually having chlorine, hardness, turbidity, iron stains, green/blue stains (low pH), a rotten smelling odor (sulfur), etc.
And oh yes, then there is the famous plastic water bottle with claims of having higher standards in purity than tap. And even though our landfills and the eco-system are compromised with innumerable, used water bottles, this is the price to pay to ensure our loved ones and us are having safe, drinking water, right?
Wrong! Many of us have been fooled to thinking we are doing such a good thing for us and our families. Yet, so many reports show that we may be doing worse than tap water by the precious people in our lives with water bottles.
Using water filters are definitely the way to go. From removing the sediments and other toxins from our tap water, we can have peace in mind knowing that our whole family is safe in consuming it in coffee, other drinks, and in cooking.
For a simple, cost-effective and easy-to-use solution to reduce some of the most common issues, consider one of these top 9 choices - you won't go wrong with them.